Student need to review the “Prepare to Arrive” website from the Government of Canada to ensure you are set at the Canadian border.

Prepare for arrival

Documents you will need:

  • Academic transcripts
  • International students: proof of meeting English Language Requirement
  • Two current character reference letters (current to one year)
  • Personal statement (1-2 pages, describing how your personal and academic experience has contributed to your post-secondary goals)
  • Supplementary material and documentation (e.g. Art projects, writing samples, Grad Transitions portfolio, volunteer work, awards, sports highlight tape, etc.)

Once you have received your letter of acceptance from your post-secondary institution: 

Click here to visit website from the Government of Canada.

A study Permit is required for any student accepted to an institution in Canada for a designated program of study that is longer than 6 months in length.

Make travel arrangements: book your flights and ground transportation options once you arrive at your destination

Check at your institution for an International Student Orientation


What do I need to open a bank account?

  • Your passport or birth certificate
  • A second piece of identification (e.g. study permit)
  • Money to deposit

Staff at each bank will be available to help when you apply for an account. Ask about student rates and plans available.

Important Note:

Carry all required entry documents with you when you travel to Canada. Do NOT pack them in your suitcase. These include passport (with visa, if required), immigration letter authorizing your Study Permit, and your letter of acceptance.