As an international student studying full-time with a valid Study Permit, there are work options that are available to you. Many of these options do not require a work permit as your ability to work off-campus is determined by your status at each university.

Can I Work Off-Campus?

If you are a full-time, international student with a valid Study Permit and are in an eligible program of study that is longer than 6 months in length and leads to degree, you may be able to work off-campus.

You are not able to work Off-Campus if you are a:

  1. Visiting and exchange students
  2. Student studying English as a second language
  3. Student registered in general interest, non-degree stream programs

How many hours can I work?

International students may work up to 20 hours a week during the regular academic year (Fall and Winter semesters September - April)

Undergraduate Students who remain in Canada over the summer and are not enrolled in courses during the spring and summer semesters (May to August) may work full-time during these months. The summer is considered a Scheduled break.

Graduate students are considered enrolled full-time all year long due to the format of graduate work. There are therefore, no scheduled breaks and international students are limited to working 20 hours a week all year, including the months from May to August.

Can I work On Campus?

Students registered with full-time student status and a valid Study Permit, may work on-campus regardless of your program of study. Students are NOT able to work on campus should they drop down to part time status (less than 3 courses in a semester) or if your study permit expires.

How many hours can I work on-campus?

There is no restriction to the number of hours you are able work on-campus as long as you remain a full-time student, the restriction of 20 hours applies only to off campus work. Students may be able to work more than one job according to availability and regulations of individual institutions.

What does my Study Permit need on it to work in Canada on or off campus?

In the Remarks section of the study permit, one of the following designations must be present in order for you to work in Canada:


"May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies"

"May work 20hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR). Must cease working if no longer meeting those criteria"

Do I need anything else to work in Canada?

Yes, you will require a SIN number (Social Insurance Number). You must have a work designation on your permit before you can apply for a SIN. You obtain your Social Insurance Number from a Service Canada location

A SIN is a 9 digit number that you need to provide to your employer within three (3) working days after you have been hired. The purpose of the SIN is to allow you to receive an income and become eligible to receive benefits, tax rebates and services from government programs.

You will require the following to obtain an SIN

  • passport
  • study permit
  • Enrolment Verification Letter from your accepting institution showing you are enrolled full-time.